Notes From Apple’s Prototyping Process for My Missing Contact Info Finder Project:
Fake it till you make it
- Before wasting a lot of time building apps that people will not like. Build prototype after prototype to save time and build better apps
- User simple tools! If Apple Keynote is good enough for the Apple team, then it is for me
- Simple is best. Don’t make complicated mockups. Keep them simple and straight to the point
3 key steps are:
- Make fake apps
- Show people
- Learn from feedback Repeat until you have an app experience that feels great
Notes on getting feedback
- Get feedback from actual potential clients not just friends or random people. If you app is for an engineer, don’t get feedback from an artist
- Need to get feedback from marketers and business clients with large list of leads/contacts
Define feature set
- Input/Upload contacts
- Upload vCard file or CSV
- Show updated contacts
- Export to vCard or CSV format
- What needs to be real?
- Nothing, simple transitions are all you need
- What can we fake?
- Uploading files
- Processing files
- Displaying results
- Where will we use it?
- Browser and Mobile phones at offices/desks
Building the prototype:
- Find a website or app with a design you like and take a screenshot of it
- Use Keynote to add layers with simple tools like boxes and other shapes
- Make buttons that trigger slide transitions by adding actions to slides.
- Export to slideshow and test with people
- Ask them if they know how to process their contacts?
- Is it easy to use/browse?
- How can we make this better?
Learn from feedback:
- What’s working?
- Maybe its easy to browse and intuitive to use?
- What’s not working?
- Maybe people want a different way to input data or export data?
- What other ideas does this give us?